People with Developmental Disabilities are suffering
Without Direct Support Professionals, many people with developmental disabilities cannot eat, go to the bathroom, bathe themselves or do the things many take for granted. Without Direct Support Professionals, people with developmental disabilities suffer!
Family members are quitting their jobs to provide 24/7 care
- The need for 24/7 care for individuals with developmental disabilities from families means that many people are quitting their jobs. This also means that many struggling Ohio families are sliding into poverty.
- Negative impact of Family members forced to quit jobs:
- Families don’t have enough income to live.
- Families are forced to rely upon other expensive social services.
- Local communities are deprived of the labor and talents of otherwise willing and able working people.
- Increased pressure on the family structure itself.
Direct Support Professionals are leaving the field every day at an alarming rate
Direct Support Professionals for people with developmental disabilities can’t feed their families with what they are being paid. This is because developmental disability providers are locked into reimbursement rates set by the State of Ohio. Only action by state officials can resolve this issue.
Ohio Businesses that support people with Developmental Disabilities are closing
Businesses throughout Ohio that are dedicated to supporting people with developmental disabilities are presently closing due to this crisis. Many more will close.
When these Ohio businesses close:
- Thousands of Ohioans lose their jobs.
- Thousands of people with developmental disabilities and their families lose life-saving support.
- Developmental disability providers are locked into reimbursement rates set by the State of Ohio. Only action by state officials can resolve this issue.